Filter by rating
State:
City:
Product:

Lenscrafters rip off

Several years ago we went to Lenscrafters in Monterey Ca. and when my husband's picked up his new glasses the lens were cracked. He returned them 2 times and each time they were cracked. The fourth time they were scratched, they tried to buff it out and then told my husband that was the best they could do and he would have to just take them or leave them. We were headed on an extended vacation the next day so were basically stuck with them as my hubby is blind without his specs. We read in the newspaper several months later that this same Lenscrafters had a class action lawsuit filed against them for illegal services. We figured after several years , they would offer really good service but read on..... My husband and I recently went to Lenscrafters to get new glasses in Monterey, the store had moved to a new local so we were hopeful. My husband's old one's were so bad we wanted to try the 1 hour option. We noticed right away that the "techs' were very apathetic, did not make good eye contact and mumbled a lot.This is usually a sure sign of poor customer service. We went ahead and ordered our glasses. I had 2 insurances and the tech ignored my primary insurance coverage and said "lets use your husbands so I only have to look up one coverage". Mmmm! I was getting worried. I asked him if that was legal and he said it was and my husbands coverage was probably better then mine anyway (without even looking). Before the insurance my glasses cost $800.00 and my husband's $700.00. After insurance mine were $400 and his were $350. 5 years ago I bought glasses at my doctors office (which is the most expensive place in town) and they cost less then this! We decided to hang in there due to the 1 hour turn around. Then find out my glasses are going to take 2 weeks! We still hang in there as my husband really needed his glasses. When he came back to get them, they had a huge scratch in the middle! Considering Lenscrafters web site states all glasses are checked by 2 people for quality assurance, this was really unacceptable. He spoke to the Lab manager directly and she said it would be taken care of in one hour and she would call him when the new lenses were ready and let him wear the scratched pair home as his old glasses were so bad. They never called that day and unfortunately the lenses fell out of his new glasses 3 times in the next 2 days!!! He finally fixed them with a rubber band !! Even though they had said 1 hour service on the replacement, my husband waited several days without getting any call so then we headed back to the store to pick them up figuring they just forgot to call. We arrived at the store and when we told them why we were there they acted like we had a contagious disease! No one would wait on us and we just sat there. Finally my husband asked what was up and they all turned their backs on us. He kept asking and finally the guy who had originally waited on us the first day (and apparently had no memory of it) said there was no order in the computer for anything. My husband said he had watched the manager enter it and also add a handwritten note with the tray and order. Then all of a sudden he turns around and he said "You didn't leave your glasses so there was no order". My hubby explained that the Lab manager had specifically said he could wear the new glasses home and how the lens kept falling out. No comment from the staff on this count. Then some timid woman came over and said there was no reorder and she acted like we had unearthed some state disaster that she was under strict instructions not to discuss. It was so weird. We finally got very upset and asked for a refund for my hubby's glasses. Then the timid woman said, "I hope you don;t expect to keep these glasses for free"!!!I It was so insulting. I still had to come back to get my glasses and was dreading it. I asked the timid girl when the manger was scheduled to be there and she said she did not know. I asked her when my hubby's insurance refund would go through and she said she did not know. I asked for the number of the billing department and she said she did not know. I asked her if my glasses were ready yet and she said she did not know. When we got home 20 minutes later, they called and said my glasses were ready!! Later the same week I went back over and when we got there we were treated like lepers!! No one greeted us (again) and we had to ask to be helped even though we were the only ones in the store with 4 staff including the manager. The manager ignored us completely A tech we never saw before helped us and when he brought my glasses out, I considered keeping them for a second but because the customer service so far had been so lousy, I knew if something went wrong with them I was screwed so I politely and quietly said "i don;t like them, I would like a refund". The tech did not say one word, grabbed the glasses out of my and walked away. We sat there stunned and then he yelled from across the store to come over and sign for the refund. There was several customers in the store now and they all stared at us. The staff was so rude and unaccommodating I could not believe it. I hope they video tape all interaction and will us our visits as a training video for "what not to do to keep customers" !!!

I actually have a nice comment to make. My whole family get their eye glasses from lenscrafters.

We love the kind of welcoming enviroment we walk in to going to lenscrafters. The manager and the associates are excellent, and they do an outstanding job. I apperciate the manager of Deptfor lenscrafters, my neice got a glasses there before and glasses where hurting her ears, so we went back to take care of the problem and a Gentleman by the name of Mike Sweeney helped us with lots of respect and we really appreciate the kind of treatment got. so couple of days ago i went back this time with my brother to purches new glasses so a young lady by the name of Jennifer Fitch helped us with the same treatment and the manager was there helping other people, and at some point it gotten really busy, so he came and helped us too.

As busy as it was people where being helped with great smile and it was outstanding service by Jennifer Fitcha and her manager Mike Sweeney, and everyone that was working there. EXCELLENT JOB.

This company will not change unless its made to changeYou all as consumers have a vote.... its your pocket book. You all have the power to affect change and this blog is not where to do it. I agree, your State Attorney General Office is your lawyer for hire..... and you already paid for the services with your tax dollars.Things to consider before you contact them:

1)Why do glasses lenses at different Luxottica owned retail outlets cost different prices. IE why are lenses at Lenscrafters more than Perle and Sears when they are exactly the same and often made in the same lab......curious????

2) Luxottica makes frames and sells them to private practice doctors with at least a one year warranty. So why do you have to pay for 1/2 the frame price to get the same warranty in a Luxottica retail outlet. Shouldnt they honor their own factory warranty in their own stores? ...... curious????

3)Luxottica subsidizes the rent of many of the Doctors offices inside their stores, and pressures them to prescribe only their lenses.... hmmmm curious????

4) Luxottica puts customer returned frames back on the shelf as new product and resells them as new..... Curious???

Was your frame New? Have you paid for a waranty replacement? Did the doctor "encourage" you to buy a specific type of lens offered "next door" or walk you over to the retail floor?

The complaints are many, but action is scant at best. People use the tools you have and make them play by the rules.

Lens crafters sells the frames on display as new frames. I purchased a pair of glasses and got home and they had ketchup and a bunch of gross food on them.

I am demanding a partial refund because this is a used item.

Also, the money back guarantee, if they are selling you used frames to begin with, why would they expect perfect frames when you return them. Tell them that!

No glasses are made with glue.

I HAVE BEEN COMEING TO LENS CRAFTERS SINCE 1985. YOU HAVE JUST MY TRUST IN YOUR COMPANY.TELL YOU WHY IBOUGHT A PAIR OF GLASSES COST $395.00 .

I MADE IT TO 2 DAYS BEFOR WARRANTY EXPIRED , FIRST I CAME IN AT 9PM. STORE CLOSEING AT 9:30 PM ASK TO COME BACK THE NEXT DAY COULD NOT DUE TO WORK TOLD WORKER THAT I. OK REPLIED.. RETURNED THE DAY AFTER AND WAS TOLD BY THE SAME PERSON HAVE TO BUY NEW PAIR OF GLASSES..............

ON MARCH 05 ,2007 BOUGHT GLASSES AGAIN. THIS TIME I WAS SOLD A PAIR OF GLASSES THAT DONT FIT. HAVE TO GO TO STORE EVER OTHER WEEK TO HAVE GLASSES ADJUSTEDHEREIT IS MARCH O5 2008 MY ARM ON MY GLASSES FALLS OFF.... WHAT HOLDS THEM TO GETHER IS GLUE AFTER HEATING IT UP FOR SO MANY TIMES IT GAVE WAY.......

WHY DO I HAVE TO BUY NEY GLASSES FOR MISTAKES YOUR COMPANY HIRES...... IN THE THE STORE GIVE ME APHONE NUMBER THAT DOES NOT DO ANY THING I SHOULD GO TO THE B.B.

B DO NOT HAVE A COMPUTER AT HOME IF YOU WANT CONTACT ME LAWRENCE FREDERICK 10719 HOLLAWAY DRIVE UPPER MARLBORO Md 20772 LENSCRAFTERS WALDORF Md ST. CHARLES MALL

YEA THAT WAS FIVE YEARS AGO DUMB ***

View more comments (5)
Loss
I have been going to LC for over 20 years I believe. I've been wearing glasses for 45. I believe I know pretty much how to take care of them, what to clean them with, not to wear them to bed, in the shower, so on and so forth. Although, I am not wearing one of...

You're a ***. You were late, past the time that they've established (30 days) to do it in, yet you feel entitled to an exception.

It's like when a credit card company tells you to pay on a certain day and they charge you when you're one day over. I suppose you'd think you deserve an exception then too since you've spent a lot of money on that card.

What makes you so special that you can't be held to the same standard as everyone else? People like you make me not want to go above and beyond at all.

View more comments
Service
Lenscrafters Customer Care

Franklin Lenscrafters

I visited the Lenscrafters Store in the Cool Springs Mall north of Franklin TN last Mon. in hopes of replacing several pairs of lenses. Things went smoothly until the young lady waiting on me suggested she take the various frames to the back to have the technician look them over. She carried three frames with her and when she returned I was informed that one pair was questionable because the screws were worn out. That came as quite a revelation because that particular frame had only been on my face 3-4 times. The rest of the 3 years they had been sitting in a drawer. When I informed the young lady of this she simply explained things wear out. Now had it been some of the frames that I've had some trouble with lately I could have agreed but this was just blatant deception in order to sell another pair of frames. I walked out with not much left to be said about their business practices. And remarkably when I went to 2 other places they found no such problems with those frames. Amazing what some companies teach their employees.

maybe- just maybe - the screw issue they referred to was from the actual production of the 1st pair -

i have seen - many times - regardless of how many times you actually had the frame on - that when they where produced - the screw heads get screwed up -

I AM NOT SAYING THEY SHOUDL HAVE NOT JUST PUT ANOTHER SCREW IN THEM _ ( what i prob would do ) - but personally - i am not a big fan of using old frames of pts - regardless of how many times you used them -

1 fold answer -

1- regardless of how used they are - the frame itself will undergo stress - and even BRAND NEW FAMES RIGHT OUT OF THE BOX - do break in the manufacturing stage -

this is just the truth - so if they do not carry the product - and they are a used frame - it is just easier to say they do not want to try to use them -

because if they do TY to use them - and they BREAK - (( WHICH I SIAD THEY DO AT TIMES ) - there is no way to replace them for you - and i would imagine - you would expect this -

2-- say they use the frame - and 1 day later - or even 3 mnths later - and the frame breaks - I would imagine u - ( LIKe MOST PTS ) expect the lenses to be edged down to fit another frame - since THE FACT IS THE MANUFACTURE MORE THEN LIKELY DISCONTINUED THE PRODUCTION OF THE FRAMES - THIS IS COMMON PRACTICE_ they produce new models -a nd get rid of old ones - so therefore - you just spent say 400 bucks on lenses - and your frame breaks - and then you have ot purchase another 400 dollar lenses - and also purchase a new replacement frame - for YOURS THAT BROKE _

that is why is better if anyone sees something on a frame - to decide not to use it ---

I AM NOT SAYING THAT your frame was so bad - it could not be done - but how there system is set up = for the most part - their discounts will be different based on a complete pr vs putting lenses into your own frame -

you will see time and time again - it will be CHEAPER to get frame and lenses - compared to putting lenses into your old frame - and that MAY be the reason why they wanted to steer you in that direction - and not try to make u unhappy when you front that $$ - and something goes wrong - later - in which you would say they where ripping you off because they could not replace the frame - or the product was no longer aval.

as for any waiver that some say they will sign - they really do not mean a thing in the legal sense - since once they take that frame and agree to trying it - they take ownership - and they must have been burned - and have learned their lesson -

DID YOU ORG -purchase them from them ? or elsewhere -

how much where these frames org ??

I just love when a pt walks in - the frame breaks and pts expect us - to give them what they paid for 1 or 2 years ago for it - when in fact frames

are worse then cars - with dropping value -

a 500 dollar frame 2 years ago may be really worth - 30-40 bucks today - yet when they break you folks expect a few hundred dollars for new ones - just nut - everyone would go out of business

best of luck

LensCrafters review in Chula Vista, California: Imposters pose as professionals

Give me a white, blue or cream colored lab coat, a nice looking pen and a small organizer and I'll be your Optical Advisor. The color of my lab coat may seem to indicate something to you but I can see that you're not sure what. That is ok, if you're confused I'm ok with that, in fact i'm comfortable with that. Now, what can I sell you...er...excuse me... how may I help you? Oh! you look very nice in those frames (but the're only $125) I think these ($325 put my thumb over the price tag) would match your hair better. ( I must remember my training, close the deal quickly, keep the customer thinking about how they look and that the vision problems they have with their new glasses will be more acceptable in a few weeks). Oh I see you collect boinks, Charles our Optician used to collect boinks when he was a sanitary engineer. I'll see if he could find time to speak to you. Oh I've been working here for 231 years now. Excuse me I be right back. Hi what may I sell..er..help you with. Thank you for (shopping) using Lenscrafters.

i hate to tell you - but working in both retail stores such as lenscrafters - and currently a od's office - they are all in business to make a profit -

does your place of employment - not want to make a profit - ? Do u work for a non profit - and volunteer your time -

with a retail store so large - doing so much business - it is a unreal expectation - to employ all licensed opticians - so therefore yes - they do have jobs for say a frame stylist - NOt saying some of these folks have more knowledge of say a lic. optician - but to keep the doors open - ( esp for those that like to shop nights - weekends - ect ( when they get out of there 9-5 job ) - they must employ folks that can help you pick out frames - and go over products -

let me assure you - they do have a extensive training program - and although you seemed to have a bad exp- I THINK YOU WOULD HAVE AT ANY OPTICAL SHOP !

Just seems that you may be one - that likes to complain - but takes no action - to address and maybe correct the situation you where in - ( say asking for a mgr - to voice your concerns CONSTRUCTIVELY - or asking for a optician to help you -

regardless - as for sales part - ALL OPTICAL shops are there - to listen to what you like and dislike about your current glasses - and then make recommendation on a new product to better address your concerns -

I just love folks that say - OH they up sold me - antiglare lenses - when in fact upon speaking with the person - you said

1- YOU WANTED the best vision -

2- you work on the computer

3-you wanted the thinnest lens -

WELL if you said yes to these - then - YES you would have been sold non glare products -

as for the pricing - that was sorta address in another posting here -

i have compared lenscrafters prices to our - and they do offer a wide array of product s take for instance - they do carry many different progressive lenses - and YES they all range in price based on technology and also quality - so if you want just a so so lens - they have one for you - but be prepared to get what you paid for -

as for havign to wait for the glasses to be ordered come on - AT our office - some glasses may take 2-3- or even 4 weeks to come in - and there is a reason for that -

1- we don't have a 150K lab - ( yes a full lab can be this much ) _ for you to get your glasses same day

2- as for anti glare - on any bifocals or progressives - these systems run 75-200 K themselves - so therefore to get the best product - for you - they go to folks that specialize in that -

PERSONALLY I would rather wait for any product someone had to order for me - since it shows it is a great product and special in itself -

we see many folsk that think these retailers are ripping them off in some way - wanting to basement bargins - and when they come see us - they almost have a heart attack when they see

1-they don't get to pick out another pr of glasses just because they do not like the 1st pr they picked out -

2- They don't get their aaa discount - or insurance coverage -

they realize SOME of those issues you had issues with are not as bad as you make them out to be -

SINCE MOST PLACES - do not offer ANY DISCOUNTS - NO RETURNS - NO 1 yr discounts if your dog or kid ruin your glasses -

we can not afford to work like that -

so although we do have entry level older products - we can get you -

we in priv offices - use the best products - which may be 750 bucks just for your progressive lenses - and maybe a 200- 400 for frames - and liek i said NO DISCOUNTS - and say your frame breaks - don't expect others to give you a pr - or do deep discounts because this is not reality !!

Like it or not, the LensCrafters opticians, managers, and those aspiring to be either or both, have a tough job. They are understaffed and overworked.

They need to upsell to remain gainfully employed. Glasses in 1 hour is a 2-edged sword. This is an example of the latest corporate thinking applied to what used to be a local business, but they can't be everything to everybody.

LensCrafters is a good place to get your first pair or a fast replacement. You can try on frames without dealing with locked glass cases also.

Well, that is just another wonderful letter showing how important it is to make sure your state is a "licensed" state. In TN it is required that a Licensed Optician be on duty at all times of business.

To achieve this level an optician must apprentice for 3 years as well as pass 3 state boards regarding lens, contacts, and manufacturing issues.

I know this post doesn't really address the ignorance of the prior post, but unfortunately the socially/educationally challenged are allowed to get in their car and drive to any store and make their ignorance known to all. When you leave sir, know that all have been entertained and feel a lot better about ourselves.

You need to grow up and act like an adult. If you were so unhappy with your service you could've spoke with a manager on the spot.

You could have also spoken with the technician and asked to work with someone else. Instead, you decide to type some *** post so others don't try lenscrafters. They are highly trained with high standards. Someone they excuse themselves and must attend to other customers too.

You need to grow up and quit acting like a child. They are doing their job the best they can, trying to please *** like you. Thanks and please come back to lenscrafters where they will still be opened everyday with a lab on site.

You sit there making up this *** post and talk about their failures but obviously you don't have any grammar so you were probably some *** in the store and that is why they left you. I can't blame them.

View more comments (3)
Review
I've been going to Lenscrafter since I was 16, and I'm now 27, which makes me a pretty loyal customer one would say...until today. I got an eye exam in April and they gave me a new brand of contacts. The contacts I ripped really easy I ripped almost 3 pairs...

DOES NOT MAKE SENSE YO ARE HOLDING THIS AGAIST LENSCRAFTERS _ ?

WHERE DO U LIVE _ SINCE IN FACT THIS WAS NOT LENSCRAFTERS ISSUE - OR CUSTOMER SERVICE -- THE DOCTORS ARE INDEPENDENTS AND LC - CAN NOT STEP INTO THEIR BUSINESS NOR VS - VS -

SO MAYBE YOU SHOUDL NOT GO BACK TO THAT OD - BUT DO NOT HOLD LENSCRAFTERS ACCOUNTABLE !!

AS FOR THE 5 MINS AND BEING REFIT - THERE SHOUDL BE NO REASON YOU WAITED 7 MNTHS TO ADDRESS THE ISSUE - THEY ARE RIGHT - YOU WOUDL NEED TO BE REFIT - AND I WOULD IMAGINE - YOU WOUDL WANT THAT NEW RX VALID FOR 1 YR - FORM THAT DATE - AND NOT THE 3 MNTHS YOU WHERE ENTITLED TO ---

SO YOU WHERE COMING DUE FOR THE EXAM - WHY NOT JUST GET IT - AND CHNAGE BRANDS - ?

as ofr the 5 mins - 7 mnths later - is is really unreal that you would expect a professional to give you free exam - or refitting for that much - most practices will do rx changes for 3 mnths TOPS - and any open boxes - after your org set of trials CAN NOT BE returned they are YOURS - u own them -

View more comments